Kurukshetra District, Haryana
Jyotisar is where Lord Krishna imparted the teachings of the Bhagvad Gita to Arjuna... Kurukshetra, site of the great battle of the Mahabharata is nearby. This is the land of the epics…where the Manusmriti was penned, and learned rishis compiled the Rig Veda and Sama Veda; the land graced by visits from the Buddha and the Sikh gurus.
Here grows the offshoot of the banyan tree under which the ‘Song of the Lord' is believed to have been first taught ....a marble sculpture commemorates this act. Devotees congregate through the year, particularly during solar and lunar eclipses.
Located just a couple of hours' drive from New Delhi and Chandigarh, Jyotisar's craft heritage includes the colourful geometry of dari weaving, embroidered garments and other hand-made souvenirs.
See & Do
Watch legend come alive at the sound and light show at the Gita Updesh temple. Join in the unbroken recitation of the Gita at the Gita Jayanti celebrations (Nov-Dec). Extend the spiritual experience at sacred sites in nearby Kurukshetra and Thanesar... Spend time at the Srikrishna Museum, where Lord Krishna is depicted in Patta Chitra, Kangra, Madhubani and Pichhvai paintings as well as in Pallava, Chola and Nayaka bronzes. Get literally down to earth... transplanting rice or harvesting wheat. Enjoy some rustic fare: bhutta, makki ki roti and sarson ka saag, sugarcane, bajra kichdi ... Catch a festive production of the Mahabharata in Haryanvi, performed by the local youth theatre troupe Jyoti Kala Manch (on demand).
- Airports: Chandigarh (116km), New Delhi (162km)
- Rail link: Kurukshetra (5km) with a Shatabdi train halt
- Road: NH 1 from New Delhi; 2 hours drive from Chandigarh
On the Spot
- Tourist Guest Houses in Jyotisar and Kurukshetra run by Haryana Tourism Development Corporation
- Contact Anjali Godyal at the S.M. Sehgal Foundation
- Tel: 0124.2397621, 2397622, 5010426, +91.99716.95928
- Fax: 0124.2346733
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org